Happy New Year everyone!
I hope everyone had a safe and happy New Year’s. Mine was uneventful- just how I like them. Actually, I ended up being sucked in to watching The 100 on Netflix which is why this post is going up one day past schedule-oops! So without further ado, let’s talk about those hoops I want to jump through, err, I mean goals for 2015.2015 Goals
So I received a notice from my doc that says “congrats, you are negative for cancer but we have no conclusion as to what is wrong with you”. It seriously said that. So, ummm, yay? So it’s back to the drawing board. That means it’s time to play with my diet some more. I am not going paleo (I like dairy) although I am buying the book, nor gluten free but I have been trying to cut my grain intake by about 85%. When I follow through, I feel a little better, holidays made following through hard. And yes, this means I need to limit my pizza intake to once a week at most. I started this in December so I am going to give it a few more months while I see if it helps. I’ve known I should restrict my carbs so I need to work on that again. On the upshot, I ran better when I did this, so fingers crossed!
Fitness- who am I kidding- Running-
- Find Easy– Well, that sounds odd as a starter. I pushed a lot in the beginning of 2014 and I ended up sore, tired and sick. I’m not saying that they are necessarily linked but I want to run as long as I can not a short period of time. That means finding an easy pace that I can sustain for long periods of time. I want to enjoy my long runs and look forward to them, not dread them. Right now I aiming for around 11:15 and averaging 10:50. Would I love my easy runs to one day be 9:00- hell yes- but I want to work towards that the smart way.
- Cross-training– Yeah, I know I should and I admit I ran better when I also rode the stationary bike twice a week. But it’s just so boring! Admittedly, I am setting the bar low here- I want to cross train at least 3x a month. Yes, I said month not week. If I can pull this off for 6 months, I will reassess in July.
- Races– Quality over quantity. No 15 in ’15 for this Slacker. I hit 14 in ’14 and that was cool but there were some I probably should have DNS’d. That said, I am confirmed for 3 half marathon distance races in the first 4 months of the year and am debating another and a 5k. Bold is confirmed, italicized maybe. Wine Country and Firehouse have sentimental value but I won’t commit to those until the last minute. The rest of the year is up in the air.
- Spooner’s Cove 25K
- Surf City 13.1
- Wine Country 13.1
- Firehouse 5K
- SLO Marathon
- Break 2:00 in a half– The goal of the first 2 months of the year is finding easy, after that I would love to find speed. I set this as a goal for 2014 but spent the year going the opposite direction. Yes, I valid reasons but it just makes this goal all the more enticing. Now, I know I am horrible with following training plans and prefer to do my own thing but I realize I may need guidance to pull this off. An I would really, really like to go sub-2 at SLO. To that effect, this Slacker may have committed to an 8 week training plan that would start after Surf City and a week of rest. But more on that later, I don’t even know much right now.
- 1000 miles in 2015– Oh, man, typing that was scary. I am trying to tell myself that 1000 isn’t that far from 832. And I went from 558 in 2013 to 832 in 2014, so it’s doable…Right???????
Life and other stuff-
Read more– or get back to it. I used to read 4-5 books a month and I think I barely hit 12 this past year. Work was crazy and I didn’t get a lot of lunches but that should be better in 2015- fingers crossed. That put a serious dent in my reading. I would also like to get back to reading before bed which mean I need to turn off the computer and that is hard. 🙂
Socialize more- I admit I am a homebody. See above for my NYE plans. 🙂 I need to try to get out a tiny bit more often. A couple of my coworkers and I are talking about running together after work, so that’s something! I would also like to spend more time with ML, A, C and NikeC and R, I am hoping we can make something work.
The blog– I would like to redesign the blog. Which I have started on but am not where I want to be. Sorry if you saw it in it’s various states in the last few days but there’s likely to be a few more in the pipeline. Bear with me while I try to be tech savvy and will likely fail! But on the upshot, most times the mobile version looks good and it’s just the computer version that looks off.