A Long Not So Slow Run

The weather man was actually right and we had a very rainy Saturday.   Not complaining because we need it but it did push my long run back until today.   Saturday was spent building a cabinet for my mother for her garage.  Every time my pops goes out of town, I get a “honey do” list.  The cabinet was one of those MDF things you buy in pieces.  Some very colorful language ensued, I hurt my ankle, pinched a finger and realized that wood glue peels off your fingers just like Elmer’s did back in grade school.  🙂    But it was built and muscled into place (weighed 200 lbs!), well mostly.  One door is out of whack.  😦  That counts as a workout right?

I don’t know why I tell myself I am going to run in the morning, I never follow through.  It is too cold and my bed is so cozy.   After a little lie in this morning, a late breakfast (or early lunch) and some errands, I headed out for my run.  The rain had held all day but I dressed for it just in case.   Full pants, tank and and long sleeved layer on top.  All topped with an ear warmer.  I was also wearing the ankle compression socks.   Ankle is a misnomer, they were more like crew, they went halfway up my leg.    It reminded me of when I played tennis in high school.  For some reason we thought we were cool wearing crew boys socks with our skirts.   Ha!


I was a little overdressed in the beginning but I forced myself to keep everything on, I knew I would be cold eventually.  Plus there was some more wind today than usual.   I had plans to get the puppy and take her for a walk, so I was only going to run 8.    The first 4 at a steady pace, last 4 at a much slower pace.   I started out ok and the first 4 went as planned.  Then it got a little tricky.

Where I forgot to pause the Garmin
Where I forgot to pause the Garmin

I was trying to take some pictures for the blog so occasionally I would stop and pause the Garmin and Nike and take a pic or 2.   Start them back up and keep going.   At the last shot I didn’t pause the Garmin so time kept running.   Oops.  Nike had paused fine and restarted fine.    Half a mile later, I noticed they were .30 miles different.  The Garmin was ahead but the pace on Nike seemed right so I just kept going.   The last few miles seemed hard, harder than a 10:30 should have been, which is what I thought I was running.   At the end, the Garmin showed 8.32 and Nike 8.02.  I must have had my Wheaties this morning, mile 8 was 8:47.  Say what?!

Thinking both devices had serious issues, I Google mapped it.   It showed 8.46.  Well crap.  Since I know the time on the Nike was accurate for time actually ran, I took that time and randomly chose 8.2 miles.   That is not the pace I was trying to maintain for a long slow run but I am stoked that I held it.  I later logged into Nike and was able to see where the signal drop happened.   I have never had a problem there before so I’m not sure what happened  😦

Gee thanks Nike
Gee thanks Nike

I then headed for the puppy and what I thought would be a nice stroll.    Except she was ready to go and wanted to run the whole way, I had to hold her back at times.  Plus she still randomly likes to just plop flat on the ground and I almost trip over her.   Another 2.7 miles in 38 minutes.   And I was done.    And cold, the temperature had dropped a bit.

And she plops….

I later went to dinner with my mother.  This time I was wearing the full length compression socks under my jeans for recovery.    So far I like them but I am going to need a few more times wearing them to decide.  I must say that I thought they would be tighter.  Or at least feel snugger.   But then I wear knee socks or derby socks almost every day during winter and spring so maybe I’m just used to it?  Who knows.

I did not eat all the fries!!
I did not eat all the fries!!

First week of the reboot plan successfully completed and I feel pretty good.   I am hoping to maintain that through next week finishing with a 10K on Saturday.  🙂   I was originally supposed to be running a half marathon but with my ankle being sore, I decided to try and be smart and not push it.  My first half of the year is still set for March and I will run SLO in April.

How was everyone’s weekend?

I know I need to just use 1 device but it’s so hard!  Anyone else use  2?

Tiny bit of business-

<a href=”http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11481261/?claim=3pyhfb56qmj”>Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

4 thoughts on “A Long Not So Slow Run

  1. Glad your reboot is going well! I’ve never run with two, but it is always a bit frustrating when your run with a group and everyone has different distances on their devices. Oh well.


    1. I am still adjusting to the Garmin plus I am reluctant to leave the Nike site as it has all my previous stats. Supposedly there is a way to import Garmin data into Nike but I haven’t figured it out yet.


  2. I used to use two, my garmin and an app on my iphone, but I stopped because I felt the Garmin was more accurate (after some research on gps stuff this seems to bear out) even though it generally showed slower times than my iphone apps. The only time I use the iphone is if I’m running in an unfamiliar area and need a map to look at.


Comments are closed.