Run!, Slacker

Missed the Boat

I feel like all I have done since February started is rearrange days on my training plan.  Which it says you can do but still, my little calendar is full of color from moving things around.   This week was more moving around.   I had a business mixer to attend on Thursday evening so I moved my 40-50 minute easy run to Wednesday after work.   It was also only 30 minutes.  However I am not at all irritated about that.  Why? IMG_9344I ran outside after work!!! Woo hoo!   While this was awesome, it also meant a shorter run since I was racing twilight.  Or in this case the marine layer.   I intentionally did not look at the humidity before I ran.  I knew it was high- hello ocean- but I was hoping outta sight, outta mind would apply.  While shopping in SLO on Monday I had picked up an obnoxious yellow long sleeve that I figured would work for the next few weeks when I run the work route.  85% of the route has wide shoulders or good sidewalks but the other 15% not so much.  In fact the road into the state park gets pretty sketchy.  I wanted to make sure I could be seen.    I knew I didn’t have a lot of time so I just ran to the state park and back.   I also abbreviated my warm up but you gotta do what you gotta do right?IMG_9289IMG_9342It was awesome!   Short and sweet and I got to see the boats and view that I had missed since last year.    Yeah, I was out of breath and had my asthma frog in my throat when I got back to my car but it rocked.     The frog could have been due to the 90%+ humidity (I checked after) or the fact that this is the elevation profile of my route from work-IMG_9343That hill isn’t huge but it kicks my butt every time.  Positive splits for the win!   But 3:36?  Haha, funny Garmin.  I can’t wait to run it again!  Moving my run actually worked in favor since my stomach was a jerk on Thursday.  I wore a very forgiving dress but I swear I was waiting for someone at the mixer to ask me when I was due.    😦

What’s a route you love?

Seriously though, what constitutes a hill?   Elevation or grade?  When is a hill a hill?

Anyone race today?  Or racing tomorrow? 

9 thoughts on “Missed the Boat”

  1. I love my route on the bike path along the waterfront of Lake Champlain. Unfortunately, it’s completely covered in snow right now, so I’ll have to wait till spring to run it again. Glad you got in a nice outdoor run!

    Like

  2. Dude… major props for keeping such an even pace even with that killer elevation change at the end! My pace usually goes waaaaaaay down when the elevation lines go up, so I think that is awesome. I think a hill is anything that is a change in elevation (or grade? both? I don’t know) that you can feel in your legs. Doesn’t matter the size… a hill is a hill and I tend to hate them. 🙂

    Like

  3. Boo to the bloat! Those pictures are beautiful! I currently don’t have a favorite route as one that used to be a favorite has a ton of slanted sidewalk, which my ankle hates. I’m looking for a new one as soon as the snow melts!

    Like

    1. A giant portion of this run is slanted as well, and writing this just gave me an epiphany as to a possible reason why I have been so sore!! It’s hard to find routes in work town that even have shoulders or sidewalks though. Good luck finding a new route!

      Like

Share something!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s