Disclaimer: I was given Detach Coconut+ to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!
I would like to say that my hydration game is strong but if I am being honest it’s been a little lacking lately. That’s not a good thing heading into marathon training. Combine that with my tendency to run my long runs/ races fasted and I was open to suggestions.
However between my already picky taste buds and extremely temperamental stomach, trying new things doesn’t always goes so well. 😯 My concern with Detach did start with the taste- I am not the biggest fan of coconut water. However, this is my year of trying to push my boundaries (that post will go up someday) so I figured why not try it?
The bottles are an adorable, little 12oz size and I was pleasantly surprised by the taste. It’s called Ellie-Ade– named for creator’s wife as he created the drink as a way to ensure that she was properly hydrated throughout her work outs. You can barely taste the coconut flavor and instead it’s a very subtle lemony-lime flavor. More lime, I think. Whatever it is, I like it… and that’s coming from the person who drinks water, coffee and Diet Coke. Kind of bland over here. 😛
Ok, the healthy details-
- Beta-alanine commonly found in trace amounts of legumes, seaweed has been shown to improve the muscles energy production at intensity and in some studies improving 800m times by ~10s for 1 time use and ~15s after cumulative use.
- Citrulline commonly found in melons is a known vasodilator, improving Nitric Oxide levels in the body. This opens up your blood vessels and improves blood flow.
- Theanine – commonly found in many teas especially white and green teas. Theanine is also known as a neurotropic as it impacts feelings of positivity and focus.
- All of this with only 60 calories per bottle and NO “fake” sweeteners which leave a nasty after taste.
- Last but not least light refreshing citrus flavor that you will love!
- Instructions: Best to take 1 bottle 30m before workout and 1 bottle during exercise. Can be mixed with other drinks as well.
Now, I was sick while testing this and my stomach was having one of it’s flare periods -yay me- so I actually only drank it before one run. Everything was making me sick. So instead, I had it post run or in my daily lunch smoothie. That one run went well but then I got nervous when I started to get sick. You know, as I type this I realize I was never sick after drinking it even if I had been sick during the run or before lunch. Ok, maybe I should have written this sooner or paid more attention over the last few weeks. Excuse me, I need to go order another case to test my new theory.
One thing I loved is that even when I felt a headache coming on post long run, a bottle of Detach would knock it out. Thank you very much, Detach. 😊
Detach Coconut+ is available at their website or Amazon.
How do you hydrate?
Do you like coconut water?
For other thoughts on Detach, check out-