Wild Run 5K recap

I hope everyone had a good 4th of July!

Wild Run 5K brought a couple of firsts for me. One was a rare opportunity due to the race size and something I never thought would happen. What I am most proud of was that I ran a smart race from start to finish-negative splits and all.

Pre-race with mom
Pre-race with mom

Choosing the Wild Run 5k, I knew it was going to be a smaller race and I was a little leery considering the past experiences that I had with races put on by this gym. However, I was pleasantly surprised-for the most part. Packet pick up was a breeze on Thursday. Parking was in the zoo parking lot so super simple. Previous races by this gym had a spray painted starting line, a megaphone start, and an orange cone finish line. So I was impressed to see tents set up, an emcee leading a warm up and a designated start. Granted it was pop-up tent but still a huge improvement. There were about 100 runners for the 10k and 5K combined. A little smaller than even I was previously thinking. The only glitch I saw prior to the race was the start time. I had confirmed that the start time for the 5K was 8:10 but the schedule on the board said 8:30. Umm? Turns out 8:10 was correct.IMG_5331

It was go time and we were off. After looking at the map the previous night, I saw that the first ½ mile of the race had a hill and the last ¾ of a mile were on the lake path that I run. Everything in between was a mystery but for the most part was pretty flat.   I started off in the middle of the pack like I always do. We ran through the parking lot to the lot of the baseball field nearby and then up the street. We were still running in a pack when we hit the hill.   It wasn’t the elevation, less 100 ft., but it was short and vertical.   I walked near the top. .3 miles in and I was walking, waah. It was short, about 20 seconds and then I was running again.   I pulled away from the pack and there were only a couple people in front of me. I figured that wouldn’t last long so I may as well enjoy it. After that small hill, it was flat, yay! My watch buzzed at mile 1 -9:37. Ouch, I knew I wasn’t in top shape speed wise, but I was hoping for better than that. I knew I could pick it up so I that is what I tried to do. I kept a guy pushing stroller in my sights. He seemed super comfortable at that pace so I knew I probably couldn’t catch him so I tried to always be able to see him.  IMG_5374

I heard someone coming up behind me and that gave me the incentive to run faster. They fell back and I kept going. Rounding a corner I found the only water station but I didn’t need it. I managed to pass a guy in blue shirt here. I just kept watching stroller guy. We went right and there were some rolling hills. The elevation was almost negligible it was just that there was like 6 of them in a row. Stroller guy got farther away. No! So I picked it up again. Mile 2-9:00.   A little more street and we were back to the lake path. I knew the path well so I was hoping to pick it up but I wasn’t going to look at my watch again. This was also where I started to realize that no one had passed me yet, I also hadn’t seen another woman since the start of the race. As I was coming up on one of the bridges on the trail, a biker rode past me and then the 10K leader thundered past.   I got hung up right before the bridge, 2 women and 4 dogs were in the path. I had to walk the little bridge until I got around them.   Then I had like .3 of a mile to go. My goal was to finish strong and not let anyone pass me.   Usually I am dragging and breathing hard by the end of a 5K but I felt like I had the energy for a final kick, so I kicked. Mile 3- 8:30.

Finish time -27:48

I forgot to stop the Garmin!!
I forgot to stop the Garmin!!

Hot damn, that’s a new PR! Not by much, but it still counts.   Here’s where it got really interesting. I was the first female 5K finisher. What?!   Seriously?   How is that possible? Another woman finished about a minute behind me. She looked hardcore, how did I pull this off? I was super excited and a little bit in shock. I realize that it’s because it was such a small race but it’s still a huge pick me up after I had a few rough races.

not sure what I am doing here
Post finish- not sure what I am doing here

While waiting for the awards ceremony, we got to cheer on the other runners coming in.   There were people finishing for the 10K, 5K and 1 mile.   The kids running were so adorable.   But hands down the coolest finisher was an 85 year old woman with a walker. She completed the 1 mile course. Talk about awesome.

woo hoo!
woo hoo!

This is also where they kind of fell apart. They were having computer issues so the awards were delayed; so delayed that quite a few people went home. When they finally started announcing, there were so few people there. The awards were for 1-3 male and female for each race. When they announced my name they also announced my time as 24:48. Ha! I wish!IMG_5379

Even with it’s little issues, it was a good race and a fun morning.  Well outside of one thing.  For whatever reasons, my iPhone had a little glitch. I ran the entire 5K with one song playing repeatedly.  27 minutes of Wrecking Ball over and over and over.  I deserve props for not chucking my phone.  I came pretty close.  🙂

How was your weekend?

Did you have good 4th?




14 thoughts on “Wild Run 5K recap

  1. Haha… clearly Wrecking Ball is your PR song! Maybe you’re secretly inspired by it… or just inspired to run away from it! 😉

    Congratulations on nailing a PR and placing 1st! So badass and awesome!


  2. Sweeeeeet. Congrats! Way to go! Haha, sorry about your music…I once saw a dude in a marathon carrying a walkman CD player – how he listened to the same CD on repeat while it skipped over and over for 26.2 miles, I’ll never know!


Comments are closed.