2019 was not what I would have expected. Nor was it what I hoped for at the beginning of the year. It is what it is, however it’s up to me to how I respond to it.
So what happened in 2019?
- Ran 8 races
- Met some great running peeps in real life
- Promotion at work
- Transfer to a much close location
- Finally made it to California Adventure
- I ran.
- DNS’ed 2 races- Castle to Coast in January, RnR San Jose in October
- Spent January through March sick
- Both parents in and out of hospital
- Gained 20ish pounds (on top pf the 20 I gained in 2018)
- Fewer miles than previous 3 years
- No 1st 50K- my only real goal of the year
- Not enough trail time
- Nowhere near 1000 miles- yes, an arbitrary goal- actual total- 591
2018 was kind of a mess- I didn’t even write a year review, my usual Shiny and Dull. I had high hopes for 2019 but I also never even published my goals post. It’s still in my drafts folder even now.
2019, I aimed for something higher. But I didn’t really try. I don’t even know if I can say I phoned it in. Admitting it is only half a start. I need to make a change if I want 2020 to be different. Even if typing 2020 just broke my brain a bit. This is no new year, new me bit- merely me admitting that I’ve become a little comfortable being lazy. So comfortable, it’s going to be very hard to follow through. And hard. Some of the weight gain is on me (literally, ha!) and some is due to my lovely GI disorder but the docs are stumped, yay me. However I have become a little too comfortable using that as an excuse. The Slacker will find a way, haha.
So now I need to unlearn all my bad habits (ok, most of them) and stop rationalizing everything I do or eat to increase my Slacker-ness. It’s going to be an uphill battle and likely a long climb.
So here’s to a lackluster 2019 and lessons hopefully learned.
Ok, 2020, what you got?