Recovery Week 2

I hadn’t really planned on another recovery week but well life right?

I was feeling very out of it all week.  I had troubles speaking and couldn’t seem to remember anything.   With working last Saturday and then the company picnic on Sunday, it just felt like the longest week ever.  I was just so tired and so ready for the weekend.   That said, this will not be a very long recap.  ๐Ÿ˜›

Monday- Rest   I got a phone call Sunday evening from an employee calling sick.  With another one on vacation I knew the day was going to be straight chaos so I left all my running gear at home assuming work would run late.  And I was right.  I wasn’t completely lazy though, I managed to clean my car after getting home that evening.  I am embarrassed at the state that it was in.

Tuesday- Rest  Same situation as Monday.  However I also had a meeting in another town in the AM and I had the brilliant idea to wear heels for the first time in a month.  Oh my word, blisters suck.  Ouch!    I did make it home in time for #bibchat though.  I took advantage of a discount being offered and finally ordered myself the fancy transition towel I had been eyeing on the Orange Mud site for a year.    Monday’s car cleaning also aided in me finally clicking buy.

Wednesday-Rest I can’t remember why though.  I know I took my gear to work but didn’t run.  Hmmm.  I ate pizza though.  ๐Ÿ•๐Ÿ•๐Ÿ•

Thursday- 4.5 miles   Fully staffed for the win!  I taped up my blister and ran in home town.  It was a little warmer than I would have liked and I started out super cautious thanks to the blister but it turned out to be a pretty good run.    I have my watch set on 5 min run/  2 min walk intervals, I am trying that these first few weeks post marathon.   The first mile was super slow due to more walking and mile 4 somehow came in at 9:40.  Ummm, oops?  I think my new playlist may have been a little too inspiring.   I felt pretty good at the end of this run though.

Friday- Rest  So damn tired, is it the weekend yet?  We also started a Biggest Loser type bet at work and the scale really pissed me off this morning.

Saturday- Rest.  I planned on running, I was aiming for an 8 mile mid to long run and had been looking forward to it all week.  I could not get out of bed.  I stayed in bed past 3 alarms and could not get moving.  When I finally did get moving, I was moving like a snail.   Ok, running probably wasn’t the best idea.  So instead I headed down to SLO for some errands.  That included a stop at the Running Warehouse for some new kicks-

Sunday-8 miles.  I was still tired when my alarm went off but not like Saturday.  That said, I didn’t get started on this run until 9.  That was stupid.  I only took my handheld with 23 ounces of water- rookie move #2.  Miles 1-4 weren’t bad.  I was feeling tired but overall ok.  Miles 5-8 were a hot mess.  I was overheating, slowing down and having troubles with my asthma.  I couldn’t smell smoke in the air but a huge wild fire broke out nearby Saturday night and I figured that could be affecting me.    My mother met me at the halfway point, well that was the plan, I was so slow I didn’t catch up to her until mile 7.  Oops.   I just kept telling myself get to my car, get to my car.   It felt like forever but finally I was done.

I was glad to have completed the run but things went south in the afternoon.   I started to feeling very not right.   I couldn’t regulate my body temp and I was burning up.  I took the coldest shower possible and was chugging water.  I was coughing a little more than normal and couldn’t focus on anything- which is why this post is also a day late.  I texted my boss to let her know that I wasn’t doing so great.  For me to text my boss, things are bad.  At last check, I had 220+ hours of sick time available.  Which is now 8 less because I did not make it to work on Monday.

I am feeling a tiny bit better and hoping that it was just too much sun/heat on top of being overly tired that kicked my ass.  It was in the 90’s when I finished on Sunday which shouldn’t feel like a lot considering I live in Central CA but it’s better than the alternative.  That coworker that had been out at the beginning of the week?  Pneumonia.   So yeah, I am hoping for too much heat.

12.5 miles for the week.  More than the week before, that’s a plus right?

How was your week?

Do you keep your car clean?




17 thoughts on “Recovery Week 2

  1. If I had run a marathon recently like you, I would be totally ecstatic (and very surprised) if I pulled off that many miles in one week! I’d probably still be sitting on the couch, milking “recovery” for all it’s worth haha. Fingers crossed your icky feeling was just the heat and effects of the fire! Also, those are some sweet new kicks… what are they?


    1. I thought I would be super excited post race to be all lazy but I am finding the opposite to be true! The fire is bad. All school sports were called due to air quality today. ๐Ÿ˜ฆ They are Brooks PureFlow 5. I am a little concerned about how narrow they are but it is getting harder and harder to find the 4’s.


  2. That’s still a great week for being post-marathon! Fingers crossed that you’re just overtired and it’s not pneumonia. Yikes!


  3. Yikes, hope that you’re feeling much better today.

    Sat was totally me, I always tell myself, eh I’ll make up the miles later this week lol.


  4. At least you’re getting out there!! In addition to not blogging in like a month I also went like two weeks without running because I was on vacation in Nashville (which is SUPER hot btw lol) and then I had a cold when I got back!! I ran a little yesterday but I’m getting nervous for my mid-September half!!


  5. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with taking extra rest post-marathon even if it isn’t what you had planned. Trust me, most of us are so pumped after achieving a goal like that that we’re a bit too ambitious about our activity immediately afterwards. I’ve learned the hard way that that’s how injuries happen. Embrace the extra rest – your body probably needs it as you ease back into a new running schedule. Also, hope you feel better soon!!!


    1. Yes, the marathon definitely left me feeling ambitious. Real life hasn’t followed through but I am adjusting to that. Well I hope so since this week hasn’t been the most productive either. ๐Ÿ™‚ I am finally feeling better though so thank you!


    1. Mine stays clean for like 5 minutes not that I commute. I don’t know how I get so much stuff in it! You are doing great, I think the summer months just hit us harder than we think and we end up with less time instead of more. Plus you have so much going on right now!!! I don’t know how you keep it together!

      Liked by 1 person

Comments are closed.